Saturday, March 23, 2013
When Puran Poli is made at home, can Katachi Aamti be far behind?
Chana Daal Sweet Sour Spicy Broth
Kut - drained water set aside while making puraN
1/4 cup puran
Salt to taste
1 tbsp good quality Goda Masala
3/4 tsp chili powder (or to taste)
1 sprig curry leaves
1 bay leaf
2-3 green chilies, chopped or slit
2-3 kokum, rinsed
grated jaggery - if needed
2 tsp oil
2 curry leaves sprigs, torn
1" piece of cinnamon/dalchini
1 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
1. Boil the broth with all the ingredients except tempering ingredients. Add jaggery only if needed.
2. As it brings to boil, switch the gas to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
3. Heat a small saucepan/foDNichi paLi for tempering. Add the ingredients for tempering.
4. As they sizzle, drizzle the oil over katachi aamti. Garnish with coconut. Switch the gas off. Cover with a lid.
5. Serve as an accompaniment with "PurNa-VarNacha Swayampak"!
1. This broth like soup is sweetish-sourish-spicy. Add jaggery only if needed.