Monday, February 25, 2013
Traditionally, Vyngana Talasani is made as I had blogged earlier. But once mom cooked it like Tendlya Talasani and we all loved it enough that it is made again and again till this day.
Vyngana Talasani (2)
Eggplant Stir Fry - South Canara Style
7 small purple Indian eggplants, sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled & sliced
1 tsp hot chili powder like Reshampatti
salt to taste
1/2 tsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp oil - preferably coconut oil
7 - 9 garlic cloves, peeled & smashed
1. Cut and slice the vegetables and immerse in water till ready to use.
2. Heat oil in an iron kadhai. Add garlic cloves. Saute till they get darker.
3. Now add drained vegetables, chili powder.
4. Cover with a lid. Place water on the lid.
5. Let it cook on medium flame till veggies are cooked.
6. Add salt and tamarind paste.
1. Though garlic cloves are smashed, we are not using garlic paste. Each clove should remain in tact.
2. Traditionally, eggplants and potatoes are sliced vertically for making talasani. In the picture above, I - accidentally - cut them into squares. Though it didn't alter the taste, I thought of mentioning the "traditional" cutting style for this recipe!