Wednesday, February 20, 2013
I had some leftover Marinara sauce. I decided to give it an American Desi twist. This was somewhat similar to my Thali Peethzza.
Flatbread using Marinara sauce
2 cup wheat flour
1/2 cup grated Mozzarella cheese
salt to taste
Few dashes of Italian seasoning
3-4 fresh basil leaves, shredded
1 tsp oil
Oil as needed for roasting
Grind to paste
1 cup Marinara sauce
2 cloves garlic
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (Optional)
1. Grind marinara sauce with garlic and turmeric powder - if using.
2. Mix wheat flour, cheese, salt, seasoning and basil leaves.
3. Knead into a dough using marinara sauce paste. You may need more water for kneading. But adjust it as you go.
4. Stir in 1 tsp oil and keep kneading. Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
5. Make small or large uniform balls.
6. Roll into small or big flatbreads. Fry on a hot griddle, using oil as needed.
1. I sneak in turmeric powder wherever possible. But if you don't want to use it, just skip it.
2. Homemade or store bought Marinara sauce can be used. I like Muir Glen or Whole Foods brand. But any marinara sauce of your choice will work.