"Firni" is not our traditional family recipe. My family makes different renditions of rice and milk pudding like Rice Kheer or DoodhPak, but Firni was introduced to our family when chef Sanjeev Kapoor started his "Khana Khazana" on Zee TV. I used to drop whatever I was doing and grab a pen and pad to write down his recipes. Since then I have made "Firni" several times and now it has become a part of Gudiya's family recipes.
Rice Pudding with saffron
4 - 5 tbsp basmati rice, soaked for 4 - 6 hours
1 litre milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp almonds
10-15 raw, unsalted pistachios
Few threads of saffron/kesar/keshar
2-3 green cardamoms, peeled & powdered
1. Soak rice for 4 - 6 hours. Drain.
2. Grind rice with 1/4 cup milk, almonds and pistachios.
3. Bring milk to boil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
4. Add rice paste. Add sugar. Keep cooking stirring from time to time. Make sure that there are no lumps of rice paste.
5. Place saffron threads in a steel spoon. Place over a gas flame for few seconds. Crush lightly. Add 1 tbsp hot milk in a small bowl. Add saffron threads. And pour it back to the firni mixture. Add cardamom powder.
6. Firni is ready when the milk mixture has thickened.
7. Refrigerate and serve chilled.
1. Increase or decrease the amount of sugar based on your own preference.
2. Use full fat milk for richer flavor.