1 1/2 cup freshly scraped coconut
3-4 green chilies (more or less per desired heat)
1/2" ginger, peeled & chopped
salt to taste
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp tamarind paste
Roast till brown
1 tbsp white urad daal
1 tbsp dalia/Pandharpuri DaaLe/puffed chana daal
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
2 red chilies, halved
1. Roast urad daal and puffed chana daal separately without adding oil in a pan - preferably, cast iron pan. Roast on a medium flame. Do not let it burn. Let the daals change their color to brown but not burnt. Let it cool down
2. Grind roasted daals with coconut, chilies, ginger, salt, sugar and tamarind paste. Do not add too much water.
3. Heat oil in a small saucepan. Add tempering ingredients. Drizzle the sizzling oil over the chutney.
4. Serve this freshly made chutney with hot idlies.
1. The chutney should have little rough consistency so grind coarsely. However, care must be taken that the daals are ground completely.
2. Do not use coriander leaves or cilantro in this recipe as the beige color of the chutney is derived from the roasted daals.