It's surprising that it took me so long to blog about my version of this classic Punjabi favorite. But better late than never!
Punjabi Cauliflower and Potatoes stir fry
1 medium cauliflower, cut into medium florets
4 medium potatoes, peeled and sliced
1/2 cup chopped cilantro
salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder
1/2 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
2 tbsp oil (or as needed)
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
A pinch of Amchoor Powder
A pinch of chaat masala
A pinch of black pepper powder
1. Soak cauliflower florets and potato slices in the salted water till ready to use.
2. Heat oil in a deep kadai or wok.
3. Add cumin seeds, turmeric powder and asafoetida. As they splutter, add ginger-garlic paste.
4. Drain cauliflower and potato slices completely and add to the kadai.
5. Add chopped cilantro. Keep on stirring on medium-low gas.
6. Add coriander-cumin powder and paprika or chili powder.
7. Stir fry till cooked. Do not let it overcook.
8. Sprinkle the remaining powders for garnish.
9. Serve with roti or paratha.
1. Salted water is used to avoid the discoloration of potatoes and it gets rid of any worms in cauliflower.
2. Add more oil if necessary to stir fry the subzi. However, I prefer to use less oil and cover it with a lid.
3. You can sprinkle crushed kasoori methi in the end for an additional flavor.