Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Shepuche PoLe - Dill Dosa





I grow my own dill leaves in my veggie patch, yet I discovered something new. Well, you see, so far I had planted fennel seeds and when they grew the leaves, I called them dill and happily used in my recipes. Then two things happened. My MIL visited and she forgot a bag of "BaLantshep" that she got from India for my sister-in-law. Both my SIL and MIL told me to use it rather than mailing it. Well, I do know few recipes using "BaLantshep" but they are generally meant for lactating mothers. Anyways, I shoved the packet in the fridge and forgot about it. As summer approached, I saw the "Dill Seeds" at out local garden nursery and they were not fennel seeds but they were what I called "BaLantshep". Now I knew what to do with the packet I had stored in the fridge. Now, I use the dill seeds to grow shepu/dill/suwa and I use fennel seeds to grow oli badishep/fresh fennel seeds.

Shepuche PoLe
Dill Leaves Pancakes
Ingredients
1/2 cup urad daal
1 cup rice
1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds

salt to taste
1 1/2 tbsp grated jaggery or jaggery powder
1 cup chopped , fresh dill

Oil for frying


Method
1. Pick, rinse and soak urad daal, rice and fenugreek seeds in plenty of water overnight.
2. Drain and grind to a smooth batter.
3. Add salt and jaggery.
4. Cover and set aside in a warm place to ferment.
5. Add chopped dill, when ready to make these pancakes.
6. Heat a griddle or tawa.
7. Add a ladleful of batter to make thick pancakes.
8. Serve with batatya sukke.

Note-
1. If the batter is not fermented due to cold weather, you can add a pinch of baking soda just before making pancakes.
2. You can increase the amount of dill leaves if you like.
3. Use only fresh dill for this recipe. Fennel seeds or dill seeds will not work.
4. Due to addition of jaggery, these pancakes have a sweetish undertone. If you like you can increase the amount of jaggery to make it sweeter.



Print Page

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs