Thursday, January 17, 2013

Methi chi UsaL - Fenugreek Seeds Stir Fry with Moong Daal

 

Although, I thought I had devoured everything that my best friend's mom cooked, there still are many recipes that I haven't yet tried. My mom shared this recipe on the phone that "Kaku" had made. I found it very interesting and healthy so I had to try it myself. I was surprised to see that I really liked the unique combination.

Methichi UsaL - (Moog Daal Ghalun)
मेथीची  उसळ  - मूग डाळ  घालून 
Fenugreek Seeds & Yellow Moong Daal
Ingredients
1/4 cup dry fenugreek seeds, Soak and sprout following information here
1/4 cup yellow moongdaal, soaked in water for 1 hour
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp jaggery
1 tsp chili powder

Tempering
1/2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/3 cup chopped onion

Garnish
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 tbsp grated coconut (Optional)

Method
1. Soak moong daal an hour before making this usaL.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add the tempering ingredients and saute till onion is soft.
3. Add moong daal and fenugreek sprouts. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover with a lid. Place some water on top and let it cook till soft, making sure that moong daal is not a mush.
4. Add chili power, jaggery and salt.
5. Simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Garnish with cilantro and coconut - if using

Note -
1. Fenugreek sprouts can also be frozen as instructed here.
2. This curry is little on the sweetish side to balance the bitter taste of the fenugreek sprouts.
3. 1/4 dry fenugreek seeds give about scant 1 cup of fenugreek sprouts
4. I have already blogged about another version of Methi with Matki.




Print Page

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs