Since mom gave very good feedback about Zeenat's Khatti Daal a day later, I had to try it. This daal tastes great with plain rice, jeera rice or even plain paratha.
As you may have guessed this recipe is now forever stuck with the perennial prefix "Zeenat's" in my family!
Please note that I have given the link to the original recipe which may yield enormous portion since it has 250 gm yellow lentil and 250 gm red lentils. I have tweaked the recipe to suit the taste and portion needs of my family. I also used masoor sprouts.
Zeenat's Khatti (Masoor) Daal
Tangy Daal by Bollywood Diva - Zeenat Aman
1/2 cup chana daal
1 1/4 cup masoor sprouts
salt to taste
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 tsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
1/2 tsp ginger paste
2 green chilies, finely chopped
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1. Pressure cook chana daal. Mash lightly and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
3. Add cumin seeds, turmeric powder and asafoetida.
4. Now add cutty leaves, chilies, ginger and garlic. Saute till garlic changes its color.
5. Add cooked chana daal, water, tomatoes, salt, tamarind paste and masoor sprouts.
6. Bring to boil. Let it simmer till daal is thick.
7. Serve with plain rice or paratha/chapati.
1. Since masoor sprouts cook quickly, I do not pressure cook it with chana daal as the cooking time is different for both these ingredients.
2. Adjust tamarind pulp to your liking.