Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Russian Salad

 
Thanks to Wiki, I recently came to know that Russian salad is also known as Olivier Salad. I always wondered if Russians really made this salad or is it something made by Indian chefs since this salad is quite popular in India. Many restaurants in Mumbai have this salad on their menu. My aunt makes her own version.
My version is as follows. Just like all the Indian chefs, I do not add any meat. I generally prepare this salad for Christmas. I am not a huge fan of regular mayo so I use the vegan mayo. Since I use milk in my version of this salad, this is not exactly vegan recipe.
 
Russian Salad
Ingredients
1 cup yellow corn, frozen OK
1 cup green peas, frozen OK
1 cup green beans, cut into 2" , frozen OK
1 small red delicious apple, unpeeled but cored
1 cup peeled/ carrot dice
1 cup potato peeled/ diced
1 celery, finely chopped
 
1 cup Vegan Mayo such as Earth Balance or Spectrum
2 tbsp milk
1 tbsp sugar or to taste
salt to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, generous pinch
A dash of mustard -  yellow or brown.
 
 
Method
1. Bring 6 cups water to boil. Add 2 tsp salt. Add, potato dice. When half cooked, add carrots. Boil for 5-7 minutes. Now add all the frozen veggies. Boil for 1 minute. Switch off the gas.
2. Drain the veggies and place them in a bowl containing cold water.
3. Whisk mayo with salt, sugar, black pepper, mustard and milk.
4. Drain boiled veggies. Add apple and celery. Fold in mayo dressing.
6. Mix carefully without breaking the veggies.
7. Serve chilled.
 
Note -
1. Refrigerate any unused portion immediately.
2. Use within 1 day.
3. This recipe may serve up to 6 people.
4. Do not overcook potatoes or carrots.




Print Page

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs