Monday, December 3, 2012
After trying not so perfect Makke Di Rotis with the Maize or Corn flour available at the Indian and American supermarkets, I decided to use "Masa Harina" [courtesy : Food Network]. I am glad to report that it gave me the perfect Makke Di Roti that I was looking for.
Makke Di Roti - (Makes 3)
Indian Corn Tortilla
1/2 cup Masa Harina
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp roasted cumin powder or 1/4 tsp ajwain/owa/ajmo
1. Knead a dough using hot water.
2. The dough should not be sticky or dry. Knead till it has a spring like consistency.
3. Cover and set aside for 1 hour.
4. Heat a griddle.
5. Make 3 uniform balls.
6. Using two parchment papers, place one ball in between them. Roll or pat to get a uniformly thick disc.
7. Place on the hot griddle. Let it cook for about 2 minutes or so.
8. Flip and let it cook till it has brown spots.
9. Serve fresh off the griddle with Sarson da saag.
1. You can use a tortila press to make these rotis.
2. This recipe is adapted from the recipe on the back of Bob's Red Mill Masa Harina.
3. You can increase the proportion to make more rotis