1 can of raw jackfruit, chopped to make about 2 cups
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
1/2 cup water
Salt to taste
1 tbsp jaggery
Grind to a coarse paste
3/4 cup fresh coconut
5 byadgi chilies *
1 tbsp coriander seeds *
1/8 tsp fenugreek seeds *
1 tsp urad daal *
1 1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
(The ingredients with * must be roasted before grinding with coconut and tamarind)
1 tsp coconut oil
1 curry leaves, torn
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1. Add jackfruit pieces, curry leaves, turmeric powder and water in a saucepan. Bring to boil. Switch the gas to low and let it cook till soft. Add more water if needed.
2. Grind the masala by roasting the spices and chilies. Make a coarse paste adding a little water as needed.
3. Add the ground masala to the cooked jackfruit mixture.
4. Add salt and jaggery.
5. Let the mixture cook on a low flame till it becomes dry.
6. Heat a small saucepan. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
7. Add the sizzling oil to the curry. Switch off the gas and cover with the lid immediately.
1. Since we are not using fresh jackfruit, soak the canned jackfruit for 3-4 hours before using to remove the "can" taste of the veggies.
2. Do not use ripe jackfruit for this recipe.
3. This curry should have a dry consistency. So do not add too much water.