Freshly shelled green peas are devoured in winter. Mom makes this simple usal which does not have too many spices.
Olya VataNyachi UsaL
ओल्या वाटाण्याची उसळ
2 cups freshly peeled/shelled green peas/matar
Salt to taste
A pinch of sugar
1 tbsp oil
1 tsp. Mustard Seeds
1-tsp. cumin seeds
½ tsp. asafoetida
1 tsp. turmeric powder
1/4 cup Shredded coconut
2 tbsp Chopped cilantro
1. Heat oil. Add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, asafoetida & turmeric powder. Add green chilies
2. Add Peas, sprinkle some water. Cover with a lid. Place water on the lid.
3. Let the peas cook on a medium flame. Sprinkle water from time to time.
4. Add coconut, salt, sugar to taste and chopped cilantro.
5. Drizzle some lemon juice before serving
1. This usaL is made during winter time in Mumbai when fresh green peas are abundant in the market.
2. This usal does not have too much spices as the flavor of fresh green peas is to be enjoyed.
3. Do not add too much sugar as fresh green peas are sweet.
4. Frozen green peas can be substituted.