Saturday, September 29, 2012
As my Maharashtrian family prepares "Ukadiche Modak" for Ganapati Bappa, my Gujarati family prepares "Laadva" for Naivedya on the Ganesh Chaturthi day. I prepared them today for Anant Chaturdashi.
Wheat Flour Laddoo
1 cup coarse wheat flour
2 tbsp coarse rawa
1 tbsp ghee/clarified butter
2/3 cup sugar, powdered in a mixie
4-5 cardamoms, peeled and powdered
Ghee/clarified butter as needed
1 tbsp almond slivers
2 tbsp white poppy seeds
1. Mix wheat flour and rawa in a big plate. Add warm water and spoonful of warm ghee. Knead into a not so soft dough.
2. Cover and set aside for 1/2 hour.
3. Heat ghee in a kadhai. Make elongated balls of the dough and press them. Deep fry on a low flame till they are nicely browned.
4. Place them on a paper towel. Let them cool down completely.
5. Place them a mixer or food processor. Grind them to a fine powder.
6. Place the powdered mixture in a plate. Add almond slivers, sugar and cardamom powders. Add ghee/clarified butter as needed.
7. Roll them into spherical balls of uniform size.
8. Place poppy seeds in a plate. Roll the laddoos onto poppy seeds so they stick to the laddoos externally.
9. Serve and Enjoy!
1. The above proportion gave me about 11 laddoos. This count will change based on the size of the ladoos.
गणपती बाप्पा मोरया
पुढच्या वर्षी लवकर या