I spotted frozen "Tanduljo" at our Indian stores. My MIL had mentioned about it so I was curious to try it. Not sure if it's similar to "hirwa maath" or "chawli" in Marathi. I followed my MIL's method to make this simple leafy greens.
Tandulja nu Shaak
Gujarati Leafy Greens
1 frozen packet of Tanduljo
salt to taste
Grind to a coarse paste*
4-5 Garlic cloves
3-4 green chilies (more or less per taste)
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 small onion, chopped
1. Thaw frozen Tanduljo. Rinse it and keep in a colander.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan.
3. Add onion and turmeric powder. Saute till onion is soft.
4. Add garlic - chili paste. Saute for 3-4 minutes.
5. Add rinsed and drained tanduljo. Add 1/4 cup water. Cover with a lid.
6. Let it cook till it's soft. Add salt to taste.
7. Let water simmer completely or keep some water per preference.
1. Always add salt in the end as after cooking, leafy greens tend to shrink.