Thursday, August 23, 2012

Radish Plant

Radish Flowers

We call the string beans of radish as "Mogri" (Gujarati) or "Mogrichya Shenga" (Marathi). I haven't seen fresh Mogri at our Indian stores ever. I noticed them frozen in the freezer section. My mom makes a delicious bhaaji with these string beans so I decided to buy the packet. I do know that they have a distinct, pungent flavor and smell - notice I said "smell" and not "fragrance". ;-D But that smell or odor was amplified when I opened that frozen packet. That's when I decided that I will have to grow my own fresh mogries.

Now, these beans come into two varieties - green colored and reddish brownish purplish colored. I assumed that they may be the string beans produced by white and red radishes respectively. So I planted white and red radish seeds in two separate containers. I did get beautiful green and purplish string beans. However, these American radish beans are different than that we get in India. These are shorter and plumper than the Indian variety.

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs