My tomato plant produces abundant tomatoes. Just stepping outside the garden and plucking fresh, green tomatoes and making rassa bhaaji is one of the pleasures of life for me.
Green Tomato Curry
कच्च्या टोमेटोची रस्सा भाजी
4-5 green/raw tomatoes, medium, sliced
2 medium potatoes, peeled, sliced
4-5 flower peppers, sliced (optional)
2 tsp goda masala
2 tbsp daaNyache koot/roasted, unsalted peanut powder (coarse)
salt to taste
2 tsp jaggery powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
2 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
1. Heat oil in a sauceoan. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
2. Stir in goda masala and fry for 30 seconds.
3. Now add potatoes. Add 1/2 cup water and cook till potatoes are semi-cooked.
4. Now add tomatoes. Add more water.
5. Add all the remaining ingredients and let the curry simmer till potatoes are cooked.
6. Add more water if needed.
7. Garnish with cilantro and coconut if desired.
1. You can let water evaporate and make dryish bhaaji as well.
2. I added flower peppers because I found them in the farmers' market. This is not a mandatory ingredient for this bhaji.