I remember reading in Smt. Kamalabai Ogale's Ruchira - Marathi cooking encyclopedia - about milk and yogurt/buttermilk based pithale. One busy day, when I was in the process of making "Pithale-Bhakar", I decided to use milk. This is what I did -
Whisk together till no lumps
1/2 cup besan/chickpea flour
1 cup whole milk
1 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
2-3 green chilies, slit, minced or ground - based on the desired heat
Salt to taste
1 cup water
1. Whisk besan/chickpea flour and milk till there are no lumps
2. Heat oil in a kadhai. Add all the ingredients for tempering. As they start spluttering, add water & bring to boil.
3. Add salt to taste. Remember that you are going to add besan + Milk mixture later so adjust salt accordingly.
4. Switch gas to low. Add besan + milk mixture and keep on stirring till about 5 minutes or so, till it gets a consistency of a pudding.
5. Serve hot with bhakri or plain rice.
1. Use whole or full far milk to get the creamy flavor.
2. Do not use onion or garlic in this recipe.