Monday, August 6, 2012

Curry Noodles

My Indian food affectionado neighbor hollered and told me that he would like to get my opinion about something. I was curious. He quickly disappeared in his house and reappeared again with a mysterious container. "What do you think of this and how authentic is it?" - he asked. Well, I could almost see the disappointment written all over his face when I said that I had never used it and have no idea about it. Good that he doesn't know that I blog about Indian food. I could just see that he just wrote me off thinking I know nothing about the Indian food!!;-)

It was Madras Curry Powder. I mean, curry powder - we Indians don't use it the way British do. We have several masala powders , podis and such in our pantry but curry powder is really a mysterious ingredient.

So when we recently went to Chicago, I picked up some "Madras Curry Powder". I was wondering if it was prepared and marketed by some British company but now the joke was on me. The company was Punjiaji and the address was Mumbai.

I decided to make my first entree with this curry powder.

Curry Noodles
For Marinade and sauce
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tsp reduced sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp Curry powder
1 tbsp tomato ketchup
1 tsp agave nectar (optional)
salt to taste
A generous pinch of freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tbsp rice vinegar

Extra Firm Tofu, cut into 16 triangles

1 packet Singapore Noodles
4 cups stir fry vegetables (I used frozen stir fry veggies from Costco)
2 tsp freshly made ginger-garlic paste

1. Reserve half of the marinade as a sauce for the noodles.
2. Marinate tofu triangles with remaining half of the marinade.
3. After half an hour, flip the tofu pieces so it's uniformly coated with it.
4. Heat nonstick tawa (preferably with grill marks, if available). Using oil spray, coat the tawa with a light layer of oil. Shake excess marinade off and place tofu pieces on the tawa and brown them on both the sides. Set aside.
5. Meanwhile, cook the Singapore noodles according to the package directions and set aside.
6. Heat oil in a nonstick wok. Add ginger-garlic paste.
7. Saute for 1 minute or so. Add stir fry veggies and saute till they are tender but not too mushy.
8. Add the sauce that was reserved, cooked noodles and salt to taste.
9. Stir fry for few minutes till it is nicely coated.
10. Top with grilled tofu triangles.
11. Serve with Sriracha sauce if desired.

Note -
1. Singapore noodles are available  at the Chinese/oriental stores.
2. I used Madras Curry powder

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs