After our annual museum trip, we decided to eat at "Panera". With our usual you pick two - half soup/half sandwich combo, we shared a coffee cake. I thought it was Cinnamon Crumb cake.
Since we enjoyed it a lot, I decided to bake it myself. I went to my favorite site - cooking light and got the recipe. I changed it slightly by adding a cocoa powder so it resembles the one that we had at Panera.
Cinnamon Crumb Cake
1 1/4 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup packed brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
3/4 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 large egg
1 1/2 tbsp cocoa powder
1. Preheat oven 350F
2. Combined flour, sugar, cinnamon and salt.
3. Mix butter with fork till it resembles a coarse meal. Set aside 1/2 cup flour mixture.
4. Combine the remaining flour mixture with all the remaining ingredients.
5. Divide the batter in two halves. Add cocoa powder in one half of the mixture.
6. Grease 8" round cake pan with cooking spray.
7. Spoon in cocoa batter. Spoon in white batter on top. Sprinkle reserved 1/2 cup mixture.
8. Bake for 30 minutes.
9. Cool on a wire rack.
1. I used a bundt pan instead of a round pan.
Cooking Light May 1998