Wednesday, July 18, 2012
I love to try out these different combinations of vegetables that are staple in the Gujarati Cuisine. Let's savor round eggplants with valor - valpapdi today.
Vaalor Ringna nu Shaak
Indian string beans with Eggplants
2 cups vaalor/vaalpapdi, strings and both ends removed, halved and torn into bite sized pieces
1 longish or 2-3 round eggplants, chopped
salt to taste
1/2 cup water
A pinch of sugar
1/2 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder/dhana jiru
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
1/4 tsp ajmo/owa/ajwain
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tsp ginger-green chili paste
1 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
1. Rinse, cut and set veggies aside.
2. Heat oil in a pan/kadai. Add all the tempering ingredients. Saute ginger-chili paste for 1 minute.
3. Add vegetables, chili powder and coriandercumin powder.
4. Add water. Cover with a lid and let it cook for15-20 minutes on medium flame. Keep checking in between so veggies aren't burnt.
5. Add more water if needed. Add salt and sugar after veggies are cooked.
6. Serve with rotla or thepla.
7. Garnish with chopped cilantro if desired.
1. Keep a little gravy to this preparation. So you may need to add more water after veggies are cooked. But be sure not to make it too watery.