I never prepared Sabudanyachi Khichadi when I was in India. After coming to the US, it was always a flop show. I blamed it on sabudana and really believe it!!;-) Ever since I came across Nupur's foolproof version, I have been making it her way faithfully & successfully. But I was also getting worried that I may lose my mom's version so I am sharing her version.
Mom's Sabudanyachi Khichadi
सा बु दा ण्या ची खि च डी
1 cup sabudana/sago/tapioca pearls
1 cup daanyache kooT/roasted, unsalted, coarsely powdered peanuts
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp. chopped cilantro (optional)
1 medium potato, boiled, peeled & chopped
1 tbsp. yogurt (optional)
2 tbsp ghee/toop/clarified butter
1/2 tsp cumin seeds/jire
3-4 green chilies, slit
2 tsp grated, peeled ginger
2 tbsp scraped, fresh coconut
1 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
1. Soak sabudana in 1 cup water for 3-4 hours. The water will be absorbed by sabudana.
2. Mix sabudana, peanut powder, salt, sugar and cilantro - if using. Cover and set aside for at least 1 more hour.
4. Heat ghee/toop in a heavy bottomed saucepan. Add cumin seeds, chilies and ginger.
5. As it splutters, add chopped potatoes. Saute for 30 seconds.
6. Add sago mixture. Sprinkle some water or 1 tbsp. yogurt. Mix and cover. Let it cook on medium flame for at least 10 minutes.
7. Garnish with coconut and cilantro - if using.
8. Serve with a lemon wedge per serving.
1. You can use raw potato instead of boiled one. In that case, after adding raw potato pieces, cover with a lid and cook the potato before adding sabudana mixture.
2. Some people do not use cilantro for their fasting food.
3. For making a spicier version, grind green chilies and ginger and add the paste in tempering.
4. Some people use dried green chili powder which is known as "hirve tikhaT" or "pandhara tikhaT" in Marathi.
5. Gujaratis do not use regular salt in their fasting foods. They prefer rock salt/sindhav/saindhav.
6. This proportion will serve as a snack for 4 - 6 people.
7. The recipe can be made vegan by using oil instead of ghee and not using yogurt at all.