Thursday, July 19, 2012
Moong or chora daal vadies give a protein boost to the simple vegetables.
Ringna Vadi nu Shaak
Eggplants with vadies
7 small eggplants, sliced
1/2 cup mag or chora vadies
1/2 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
2 tsp coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp jaggery or 1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 cup water
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tbsp ginger-green chili paste
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1. Heat oil in a pan. Add all the tempering ingredients. Saute for 1 minute.
2. Add vadies and saute for 2 minutes.
3. Now add eggplants and all the powders. saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add water. Cover with a lid. Let it cook on a medium heat for 10-5 minutes till eggplants and vadies are soft.
5. Check from time to time so the eggplants are not sticking to the bottom of the pan. Add more water if needed.
6. Add salt, sugar or jaggery.
7.Garnish with cilantro.
1. Keep a little gravy but do not make it too watery.
2. A potato can also be added to the above preparation.
3. Traditionally, vadies are fried in tablespoon ful of oil separately before adding to the curry. I tried to save the oil and hence, the calories. ;-D
Anand Mara Nahi, Anand Marte Nahin. We waved at you last year and you waved right back with a smile when Mom & I were taking a stroll at the Carter Rd Promenade and you were in the balcony of your Ashirwad... I couldn't believe it.... You made our day that day....Mom was a huge fan when Aradhana was released. I have just heard the stories about your super stardom...
RIP, Rajesh Khanna!