Eggplant, Drumsticks and Indian lima beans is a classic combination in many states of India. Today I am featuring my mom-in-law's recipe.
Ringna-Saragawa nu Shaak
Eggplant with Indian Drumsticks
6 small eggplants/brinjals/gol ringna, sliced
3 small potatoes, peeled & sliced
3 small green tomatoes, sliced
10 oz Surti Papdi Lilva (I used frozen packet)
1 or 2 Saragawa ni shing/Shevgyachi sheng/Indian Drumsticks vegetable
salt to taste
2 tsp gujarati Garam Masala
1 tsp Coriander-cumin seed powder/dhana jiru
1 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
1 tsp jaggery
Grind to a coarse paste
3-4 garlic cloves
1 1/2 " ginger, peeled
3-4 green chilies (depending on the desired heat level)
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp ajmo/ajwain/owa
1/4 tsp asafoetida/hing
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp Kasoori Methi
1. Rinse, peel and cut the vegetables and immerse potatoes and eggplants in water till ready to use.
2. Heat oil in a kadai. Add ajmo, asafoetida and turmeric powder. As they sizzle, add kasoori methi.
3. Saute for 30 seconds, Add paprika, coriander-cumin power, Gujarati garam masala.saute for 30 seconds. Add 2 tbsp water.
4. Now, add drained eggplants, potatoes, green tomatoes. drumsticks & Indian lima beans.
5. Fry for 1 minute. Add 1 cup water. Cover with a lid.
6. Let it cook on a slow flame for about 1/2 hour or till the veggies are cooked but not too mushy. Check for water in between, and add more if needed, taking care not to burn the vegetables.
7. Add salt and jaggery.
8. Garnish with freshly scraped coconut.
9. Serve with rotla or methi thepla.
1. Baby Lima beans or butter beans can be substituted for surti papdi lilva. Use green and freshly frozen beans and not dry/white beans from the pantry.
2. Keep a little gravy to this shaak.