This is a perfect shaak for a rainy day. This is made entirely from the pantry ingredients so when vegetables are not available, this curry comes handy.
Papad nu Shaak
20 mini papads or 5 big papads torn into bite sized pieces
1/4 cup moong daal vadi
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
2 tsp jaggery, grated
1 tbsp crushed kasoori methi
salt to taste
1/2 tsp paprika
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/8 tsp ajwain/ajmo/owa
1/8 tsp methi seeds/fenugreek seeds
2-3 boriya chilies or any dry red chilies
1. Heat oil in a kadai.
2. Add all the ingredients for tempering.
3. As they sizzle, add moong vadies and saute for 2 minutes.
4. Add kasoori methi and paprika. Saute for 1 minute.
5. Add 2 cups water. Add paprika, salt, tamarind pulp and jaggery.
6. Bring to a rapid boil. Reduce the gas and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
7. Add papad and simmer till they are cooked.
8. Serve immediately.
1. Do not make this curry in advance.
2. Try not to keep the leftovers as it is to be consumed fresh.