Monday, July 2, 2012

Fool Mudammas - Fava Bean Salad

My blogging has created a wonderful food critic in our house and she is none other than my daughter. She loves to pretend a judge on "Chopped" or very next minute she is "Anton Ego" of Ratatouillie. I must say that her tastebuds have matured from favoring just Mac n Cheese & Pizza to some complex delicacies around the world.

Just sometime back, we had tasted Fool Mudammas at a Middle Eastern Restuarant. Gudiya loved it. The restaurant also had a nearby grocery stores so I went ahead and bought a pack of "Fava Beans". After some time, I  followed the recipe on the back of the packet. However, Gudiya gave me a true feedback. She said - "Mom, this is good but the one which we had at the restaurant also had tomatoes. So it tastes different!"  That was a good observation. I discarded my picture and recipe since it wasn't yet blog worthy. :-D

Later after a month or so, I tried my hands on Fool Muddammas again. I remembered Gudiya's feedback and tried to make it as close to the restuarant one. Instead of tomatoes, I added a little twist by using Jack's Salsa from Costco.

My homegrown food critic approved it and gave me 4 1/2 stars out of 5. "Where did I miss that 1/2 star, Gudiya?" - I asked her. Very seriously, she answered - " There is always a room for improvement, Mom!" :-D

Fool Mudammas
Fava Bean Salad
1 cup dry fava beans
salt to taste
1 tsp paprika
1 cup Jack's salsa from Costco

1 fat clove of garlic
1 tbsp olive oil
2 key limes

1 tbsp chopped flat leaf parsley or Cilantro

Suggested Accompanement
Ezkeil brand pita bread

1. Soak fava beans in water for 12 hours. Change water at least once.
2. Drain. Pressure cook adding paprika, salsa and 2 cups water.
3. Pressure cook till 7-8 whistles.
4. Open the lid. Add salt to taste. Let it simmer on medium flame for 10 minutes. Add water if needed.
5. Using a potato masher, mash the beans lightly.
6. Grate a garlic clove and add to the simmering beans. Drizzle 1 tbsp olive oil. Simmer for 15 more minutes.
7. Squeeze lime juice.
8. Garnish with chopped parsley or cilantro leaves.
9. Serve with toasted Pita bread.

Note -
1. If I am using salsa for cooking, I prefer only Jack's salsa because it has a fresh flavor without any preservatives. If not using Salsa, you can use onion, tomatoes, cilantro.
2. Any pita bread of your choice will work with this recipe. I love Ezkeil brand.
3. I like to mash the fava beans lightly. But based on your preference, you can mash them completely.
Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs