Thursday, June 14, 2012

Kamut Chiwda

Due to my zany ways of cooking, I sometimes find myself picking different ingredients even without thinking. I figure out later how to use them later. When I picked "Kamut Cereal" from the Whole Foods, I had no idea that they will turn into Chiwda. Well, I imagine myself on the "Chopped" show and let the ingredients be my guide.

Kamut Chiwda
Kamut Trail Mix
1 pkt Kamut Cereal
salt to taste
1 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp MetkooT

1/4 cup oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp asafoetida
2 sprig curry leaves, torn
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 cup roasted peanuts
1/4 cup puffed chana daal/Pandharpuri DaLe
2 tbsp raisins

1. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
2. Add mustard seeds, turmeric powder, asafoetida and curry leaves.
3. As they sizzle, add peanuts, daaLe and raisins along with chili powder.
4. Fry till they appear crisp. Add metkooT and fry for 1 minute.
5. Stir in Kamut, salt and sugar.
6. Fry on low flame till the kamut is coated with masala.
7. Let it cool down. Store in an airtight container.

Note -
1. I generally use less oil than the recipe requires. Even though 1/4 cup oil is more than my usual spoonful of oil, it is needed so the masala coats the cereal. If you want, you can spread some paper napkins on a big plate and pour cooked chiwda on it to absorb extra oil before adding to the airtight container.


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs