Monday, June 25, 2012
Once I had gone with my friend to visit her grandmother. My friend's aaji's house was near Pune. For lunch, aaji had made delicious daalichi amti. One unique thing that I noticed immediately was that the aamti was flavored with olya kaandyachi paat or spring onion greens. It was so different and delicious. Aaji had a little garden in her backyard and she shared that she would add the fresh herbs to the daily daal and each herb added its own unique flavor.
My friend's aaji's Daal was my inspiration when I decided to add chives from my backyard to my daily daal. Chives has a mild flavor - kind of a cross between garlic and onion. So it worked perfectly with my daal.
Daily Daal with Chives
3/4 cup toor daal
1/2 tsp tamarind pulp
1 tsp jaggery
salt to taste
2 tsp oil
4-5 fenugreek seeds
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbsp minced chives greens
1/2 tbsp goda masala
1/2 tsp paprika
1. Pressure cook toor daal and keep aside
2. Heat oil in a saucepan.
3. Add all the seeds. Add garlic cloves and chives greens. Saute for few minutes. Now add goda masala and paprika. Saute again for 1 minute.
4. Add cooked & mashed toor daal & water as needed to adjust the desired consistency.
5. Now add salt, tamarind and jaggery. Bring to boil.
6. Switch gas to low and let it simmer - stirring in between - for at least 10 minutes.
7. Garnish with more chives greens if you like.
1. Do not make this daal watery.
2. Similar daal can be made using garlic greens or onion greens.
3. As a variation, you can add mixed daals instead of using just toor daal.