Varan that I grew up with is a very mild, daily daal. It has just a few basic ingredients. However, I tasted a different varan seasoned with garlic at my friend's house. So I am sharing this garlicky varan recipe today.
1/2 cup toor daal
salt to taste
1 tsp oil
1/4 tsp mustard seeds
1/8 tsp asafoetida
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves, torn
5 fenugreek seeds
4-5 cloves of garlic, peeled & minced
1. Pressure cook toor daal adding adequate water. Mash and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add all the ingredients but garlic.
3. When it sizzles, add minced garlic. Saute without letting garlic burn.
4. Add mashed daal, 1 cup water and salt to taste.
5. Bring to boil. Switch the gas to low. Simmer for 10 minutes.
1. This recipe will be sufficient for 2 people.