कोल्हापुरी वालाची आमटी
Bitter Field Beans Curry
1 1/2 cup Vaal sprouts/DaLimbya
salt to taste
Grind to paste
1/4 cup fresh coconut
2 tbsp chopped cilantro
3-4 cloves garlic
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 sprigs curry leaves, torn
1/4 cup minced onion
1 tbsp Kolhapuri Masala/Chutney (or per taste)
* Coconut paste
1 tbsp jwari/jondhLa/jowar/sorghum flour
1/2 cup water
1. Follow the instructions given here to sprout the field beans.
2. Grind coconut with cilantro and garlic cloves. This paste does not need to be too smooth.
3. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add all the ingredients till curry leaves. As they splutter, add onion and saute till onion is soft. Add Kolhapuri masala and coconut paste. Saute for 5 minutes.
4. Add vaal sprouts. Add 1 cup water. Bring to boil.
5. Switch gas to low. Cover and let it cook.
6. Add salt to taste.
7. In a small container, whisk sorghum flour with water till there are no lumps.
8. Drizzle slowly to the boiling curry while stirring continuously with other hand.
9. Simmer for 5 minutes.
10. Adjust water consistency as needed. Switch off the gas.
11. Serve with Bhakri
1. If you can't get vaal sprouts, lima beans sprouts can be substituted.