Sometimes, I feel like making the western desserts that we ate during our childhood days. Bread and Butter pudding was one such dessert. I used oven to bake the pudding but in India, pressure cooker was used to steam the pudding.
Bread & Butter Pudding
5 oatmeal bread slices - preferably day old, cut into 4 strips
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbsp raisins
2 tbsp walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven 350 F
2. Grease a Pyrex baking dish.
3. Spread butter on both sides of bread strips.
4. Arrange Bread slices in the greased baking dish, making vertical and horizontal patterns.
5. Add whisked egg mixture and raisins & walnuts pieces. Sprinkle 2 tbsp sugar on top.
6. Bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes or till the pudding appears to be ready.
1. Serve warm bread and butter pudding with cold vanilla ice cream.
2. I used oatmeal bread because that's what I had it. Use any white bread of your choice. If you use richer bread like Brioche, it will taste even better.
3. As a variation, you can smear your favorite jam or orange marmalade along with butter.