Saturday, May 5, 2012

Black Bean Burrito for Cinco De Mayo

"I need to buy a Mexican dress for tomorrow! It's Cinco De Mayo!!" Gudiya announced cheerfully yesterday. I do not know where to buy that colorful Mexican frock for her but I sure wanted to cook Mexican feast to celebrate Cinco De Mayo.

Cinco De Mayo simply means May 5th in Spanish. It is celebrated in the United States to celebrate Mexico's victory.

This is how we celebrated Cinco De Mayo at our home. Along with Black Bean Burrito, I also made Flan which goes by the name "Caramel Custard" in India.

Black Bean Burrito
For Black Beans
1 cup black beans
1/2 medium purple cabbage, roughly shredded
1 cup Jack's Salsa from Costco
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp coriander powder

1 cup cooked white or brown rice

For Garnish
1 tomato, chopped
1 small red onion, chopped
few sprigs of cilantro
1 avocado, peeled, pitted and chopped
1 lime,
2 cups shredded ice burg lettuce

4 medium tortilla of your favorite brand. [I like Whole foods whole wheat or red chili or Ezekiel brand sprouted wheat tortilla]

Optional Garnishes
Hot sauce

1. Soak black beans overnight. Next morning, drain the beans. Combine all the ingredients under black beans. Pressure cook in a pressure pan. Let the pressure drop. Let it simmer till water is evaporated. Let it cool down to room temperature.
2. Keep all the garnishes ready by chopping.
3. Cook white or brown rice. Let it cool down at room temperature.
4. Warm tortillas over a cast iron griddle.
5. Place lettuce, rice, black beans, onions, tomatoes, cilantro, avocado. Squeeze fresh lime juice.
6. Fold two ends (top and bottom and then roll into a burrito. If the stuffing is too much to roll, just roll into a half and serve it as a soft taco.

Note -
1. Once I added purple cabbage to black beans stew and Gudiya loved the flavor. Since then  I always add purple cabbage to this recipe. I think it works together. But if you have doubts, you can hold the cabbage.
2. You can add more garnishes like sour cream, grated cheese etc. But I went ahead with a vegan option.
3. I like Jack's salsa from Costco as it has very fresh flavor. If you don't have it or don't want to use readymade salsa, simply add chopped tomatoes, onions and cilantro in the pressure cooker with black beans.
4. I add turmeric powder wherever possible to add that anti-oxidant boost. So I don't claim this recipe to be authentic but this is how I make the black bean burrito.


Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs