Since Appe take lot less oil than vadas, I make them quite regularly at home. Once I had the appe batter & a bunch of spinach in the refrigerator, so I decided just to combine them both and thus Spinach Appe were created! :-D
1 cup urad daal
1/4 cup chana daal
1/4 cup green peas daal
1/2 cup brown rice
Grind the drained mixture with
2 cups boiled spinach
Oil for cooking
1. Soak daals and rice for 6 - 8 hours. Drain
2. Boil spinach with water. Drain.
3. Grind drained rice and daal with spinach and salt.
4. Cover and keep aside for 4-5 hours.
5. Adjust for salt. If it has not fermented, add a generous pinch of baking soda.
6. Heat "Appe Paatra" or Appe pan. Add oil.
7. Drop a spoonful of batter. Cover and let it cook.
8. Flip and cook on the other side without covering. Use oil as needed.
9. Serve with chutney of your choice.
1. Some people add baking soda while spinach is getting boiled to retain its green color. I don't do it.
2. You can make these appe spicier by adding finely chopped onions and green chilies in the fermented batter, just before frying.