This is is a very simple daily daal from my mom's kitchen.
1 cup masoor daal, pressure cooked using adequate water
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
salt to taste
1 tsp coriander-cumin powder
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1 sprig curry leaves
2 red chilies, halved
1 green chili, slit
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tbsp minced cilantro
1. Pressure cook masoor daal adding turmeric powder and asafoetida. Mash and set aside.
2. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add cumin seeds, curry leaves, chilies. As they sizzle, add minced garlic. Saute for 2 minutes till garlic changes color.
3. Add mashed daal, water, salt
4. Bring to boil. Simmer on medium flame for 10 minutes. Add more water if needed.
5. Garnish with cilantro and let it simmer some more.
1. Serve with plain rice and sajook toop/clarified butter.