Friday, April 20, 2012
Laal Maath or red amaranth is one of my favorite leafy greens. Sometimes, it's available in the farmers markets here. When I go to Mumbai, mom always makes it for me. Mom always adds potato to this bhaaji and as a child, I used to get excited to see those potatoes turning pinkish red after getting cooked with maath.
Laal MaaThachi Bhaaji
लाल माठाची भाजी
Red Amaranth Stir Fry
1 bunch of red amaranth/laal maath, cleaned, chopped
1 medium potato, peeled and diced
salt to taste
A pinch of sugar
2 tsp oil
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2-3 green chilies, slit
1 tbsp freshly scraped coconut
1. Heat oil in a kadhai or wok. Add the tempering ingredients. Saute till the onion is soft.
2. Add potatoes. Sprinkle some water. Saute for 5 minutes.
3. Add shredded greens. Cover and keep water on the lid. Let it cook on a low flame.
4. Once cooked, add salt, sugar and coconut
1. Swiss chard can be substituted for red amaranth
2. If fresh, you can use the stems of this leafy greens. Chop it before adding with the greens.
3. Always add the salt after the greens are cooked.