Though only white rinds of watermelon are used in this recipe, it does give a pale pink hue to the batter. This is one of those "Trash to treasure" recipe.
3/4 cups watermelon rinds/white parts
1 cup rice
salt to taste
oil for frying
1. Wash rice and soak in water for at least 2-3 hours.
2. Drain. Grind with watermelon rinds/whites
3. Add salt. Cover and let it ferment overnight.
4. Heat nonstick or cast iron pan next morning. Add a ladleful of batter. Drizzle oil as needed.
5. Cover and let it cook. Flip on the other side.
6. Serve with chutney of your choice.
1. You can add some grated jaggery to taste.
2. You can also add some chopped green chilies to the batter for an extra kick.
3. Since watermelon has lots of water, you may not require any water to grind with rice. Do not add water to the batter.