This is the second recipe for Gavhale - or Maharashtrian Pasta - as I would call it. The first one was a Gavhalyanchi kheer, & this one is called Gavhale Bhaat.
Indian Sweetened Pasta
1 cup Gavhale
1 tbsp ghee/sajook toop/clarified butter
1 1/2 cup milk + 1 cup water
1/2 cup sugar (more or less per your preference)
few strands of saffron
3-4 cardamoms, peeled & crushed
1. Heat clarified butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan.
2. Roast cloves for 1 minute.
3. Add gavhale and roast them for 4-5 minutes. Do not let them burn.
4. Boil milk and water mixture. Add sugar and let it dissolve.
5. As gavhale get pale brown, add milk mixture. Let it cook on low flame.
6. Add saffron and cardamoms.
7. Stir till all the liquid evaporates and pudding like consistency is reached.
8. Serve warm.
1. Add saffron strands onto a spoon. Put the spoon on the gas flame for few seconds and
then crush or crumble the strands to extract maximum flavor and color. Just make sure not to burn your hands or strands!;-D