Wednesday, March 7, 2012
I have blogged about mom's red colored DaLimbi usaL so now's the turn of yellow colored one. This one has onion and green chilies.
DaLimbi UsaL with onion
Bitter Field Beans Stir Fry
1 medium potato, peeled and cut into small pieces
salt to taste
1/2 tbsp jaggery (or to taste)
2 tsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 green chilies, slit
1 tbsp freshly scraped coconut (more the merrier!)
1 tbsp minced cilantro
1. Heat oil in a saucepan. Add mustard seeds, asafoetida and turmeric powder. As they sizzle, add onion and green chilies. Saute till onion is soft.
2. Now add potato. Saute for 1 minute.
3. Add vaal sprouts and 1 cup water. Bring to boil. Switch gas to low.
4. Cover with a lid. Let it cook on a low flame till beans and potatoes are cooked.
5. Add salt and jaggery. Let it simmer.
6. Add coconut and cilantro for garnish.
1. After adding sprouts, take utmost care while using spoon. The sprouts should not be broken. It's a delicate balance but that's a delicacy indeed.
2. Adjust the water content based on the desired consistency. This usaL is meant to be little dryish.