Tuesday, March 6, 2012
I loved the name "Cranberry Beans" so I decided to give them a try. I made this curry using a typical Punjabi masala - onion, tomatoes, ginger-garlic paste & garam masala. I also sneaked in some spinach to enhance the nutritional value of this curry.
The curry tasted good but a note to self - these beans get mushy if overcooked.
Cranberry Beans Curry
1 cups dry cranberry beans
1 cup shredded spinach
salt to taste
1 tbsp coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp paprika or mild chili powder
1 1/2 cup water
*Grind to a fine paste
1 cup sliced onion
2 roma tomatoes
2-3 garlic cloves
1" ginger, peeled & chopped
1/4 cup cilantro/coriander leaves
2 green chilies (optional)
1 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 bay leaf
* Onion paste
1. Clean, rinse and soak the beans in water for 6-8 hours. Drain.
2. Heat oil in a pressure cooker/handi/pan. Add whole spices, turmeric powder. As they sizzle, add onion paste. Saute for about 5-10 minutes.
3. Now add all the powders, drained beans, spinach and 1 1/2 cup water.
4. Close the lid and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
5. Let the pressure drop of its own. Add salt. Let it simmer to reach desired consistency.
1. Make sure not to overcook the beans.