Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Cabbage Pasta


Many years back, during my first year in America, one fine day in March, an American friend of mine exclaimed - "I will get to pinch you. You are not wearing green!!". I have never heard this before. I had no idea what she was talking about. "It's St. Patrick's Day, silly!" She said. I came to know that it was an Irish festival of gathering, drinking and making merry. That day onwards, I always remembered to wear green on St. Pat's day. This year, Gudiya made a Leprechaun trap for the school. She decorated it with green clovers/shamrocks. She was really hoping to trap Mr. Leprechaun. However, it seems when all the kids went for the outdoor recess, Mr. Leprechaun came, made a mess, left goodies in each trap but alas, didn't get caught!!

At our home, we celebrated our own St. Pat's by making cabbage pasta. Apparently, cabbage is a big thing on this day (along with beer, of course). My cabbage pasta was inspired from the cabbage pasta recipe from the Whole Food's March/April booklet. By not using any meat, I made it vegetarian or even vegan friendly. I was surely surprised to see how simple it was and it tasted really delicious. I used Angel Hair Pasta.

Cabbage Pasta
Ingredients
1 small cabbage, cored and shredded
2 1/2 servings of Angel Hair Pasta

Tempering
1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion or 2 shallots, chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
A pinch of salt

Garnish
Freshly ground black pepper

Method
1. Cook Angel Hair Pasta according to the package instructions.
2. While pasta is boiling, add olive oil in a wide saucepan. Add shallots and garlic. Saute for 30 seconds. Add a pinch of salt. Saute till onion is soft.
3. Now, add shredded cabbage. Saute for 5-6 minutes. Per your preference, cook cabbage so it is crunchy or soft.
4. Drain cooked angel hair pasta. Add to the cabbage. Mix well. Check for salt and add more if needed,
5. Sprinkle black pepper as needed.
6. Serve

Note -

1. Do not over cook cabbage.
2. I use a pasta measurement ladle with 3 holes (2 servings, 1 serving and 1/2 serving) to measure the uncooked pasta. You can also eyeball it.
3. I loved to use more veggies thant the recipe calls. So I used the entire smallish cabbage. I feel after sauteing, it wilts so it's good to use more. But you can decide your own preference.

Credits
http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/3207


Print Page

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs