This happened when we had gone out of town. I like to use up all the veggies before going away. But as luck would have it, a day before leaving, I discovered a huge leek, 2 tomatoes, a chunk of pineapple, 2 carrots, handful of mushrooms, cooked brown rice and soaked and drained black beans. I chopped the veggies and froze them all in different containers.
After coming from our trip, I wasn't sure if all my frozen veggies were okay. I decided to make a stew and served with defrosted brown rice. So the entire dinner was from the freezer. This recipe was inspired from Cuban Black Beans & Mango Stew.
Black Beans & Pineapple Stew
1 cup dry black beans, soaked overnight, drained, frozen
2 tomatoes, chopped
1 cup chopped leeks
1/2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup pineapple chunks
3 cloves garlic, peeled & minced
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp turmeric powder (optional)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin powder
1 tsp all spice powder
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
2 cups water
1. In a pressure cooker, combine all the ingredients.
2. Pressure cook up to 4 whistles.
3. Let the pressure drop of its own.
4. Open the lid. Add salt. Adjust water consistency.
5. Simmer for 10 minutes.
6. Serve on a bed of brown rice.
1. You can squeeze a fresh lemon for an extra tang.
2. You don't have to use frozen veggies, fresh veggies would work too!!!;-)
3. Substitute Mexican mango pieces for pineapple for a different flavor.