Thursday, February 2, 2012

Ragi Nankatai

When we were in India, Gudiya enjoyed Britannia's Ragi biscuits. I couldn't find them at our local Indian stores here. When I was chatting with my MIL, she suggested Ragi Nankatais. I decided to add cinnamon powder and cocoa powder to disguise them as chocolate cookies.

Ragi Nankatais
Ragi Flour Cookies
Beat together
1/4 cup Shortening (I used Sprectum brand)
1/3 cup sugar
2 tbsp yogurt

Mix together
1 cup ragi/nachni flour
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
A pinch of salt
1 tbsp cocoa powder

1. Beat shortening, sugar and yogurt together.
2. Add dry mixture carefully
3. Beat to make a dough consistency.
4. Preheat oven to 350 F
5. Make uniform balls. Pat them to make small discs
6. Bake in the oven for 16 - 18 minutes.

Note -
1. Since these cookies do not have all purpose flour or wheat flour, they have a distinct Ragi flavor. It may be an acquired taste.
2. The above proportion gave me about 2 dozen small nankatais.

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs