Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dosa Batter

Sometimes, when I browse through my own blog, I get astonished that I haven't blogged some of the most ubiquitous recipes around my kitchen. Today I am sharing the recipe for dosa batter since I use it over and over to create many avatars of our wonderful Indian crepe.

Dosa Batter
1/2 cup white urad daal
2 cups rice
1/2 tsp methi/fenugreek seeds

1. Soak all the ingredients in plenty of water for 8 hours.
2. Drain and grind to a smooth paste adding very little water as necessary for grinding.
3. Pour in a huge bowl. Cover and let it ferment for 8 hours.
4. Now the dosa batter is almost ready. Add salt and water as needed to adjust the consistency of the batter.

Note -
1. After fermenting, I generally freeze half of the batter in  a freezer safe container. Whenever in future I plan to make dosas, I move the frozen batter from freezer to fridge to thaw. It takes at least 10+ hours for the batter to thaw completely. So plan accordingly.
2. In order to create the crispy dosas, you need daal to rice ratio as 1 :4 or in other words, you need to use more rice compared to daal. If you want soft dosas, reduce the amount of rice.

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs