Friday, January 27, 2012

Bread Pakoda

When you say "Bread Pakoda", you don't really think of it as a "light" food. I have tried to modify the original recipe by using Pam cooking spray instead of deep frying it.

I first had bread pakoda at SEEPZ canteen. They served it with their delicious chutney. I made it myself after my marriage and was shocked to see how much oil was gulped down by that bread while frying. So I never made it ever again. But then just the other day, I thought of shallow frying it.

Bread Pakoda

For Stuffing
2 medium potatoes, boiled, peeled, mashed
1/4 cup green peas, boiled (optional)
1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
1 tbsp chopped cilantro
1 green chili, minced (optional)
1 tsp lemon juice

4 sandwich thins

For batter
1/2 cup besan/chickpea flour
salt to taste
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/4 tsp asafoetida
1/4 tsp paprika
A pinch of baking soda
water as needed to make batter

Pam Cooking Spray

1. Mix mashed potatoes with remaining ingredients to make stuffing. Set aside.
2. Make a thick batter with besan and remaining ingredients. Set aside.
3. Heat tawa/pan.
4. Open each sandwich thin. Stuff potato mixture. Close and dip in the batter so it is fully covered with besan.
5. Using cooking spray, shallow fry all the thins.
6. Preheat oven to 350 F
7. Transfer cooked pakodas onto a baking tray. Bake for about 10 minutes flipping once.
8. Enjoy with tomato ketchup.

1. You could have used leftover potato bhaaji or fry ginger-garlic paste and then add mashed potatoes.
2. I baked it after shallow frying so the besan batter is fully cooked. Since I am not deep frying it, this step is necessary.

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs