Kobichya vadya (plural) is a delicious accompaniment with daily meal or can be served as a snack. Here's how my mom makes it.
2 cups finely grated cabbage/kobi/kobij/pattagobhi
1 cup besan/chickpea flour
1/8 tsp owa/ajmo/ajwain/ajowan/thymol seeds
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp chili powder (add more if you want spicier version)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1 small onion, chopped
1/4 cup coriander leaves, chopped
1/2 tsp garam masala (or per taste)
Oil for deep /shallow frying
1. Mix cabbage, onion, coriander leaves.
2. Add all the remaining ingredients one after the other.
3. Add water gingerly to make a thick batter like you would make for making pancake. Pour in a greased pressure cooker container.
4. Steam in a steamer or pressure cooker. If using pressure cooker, steam without using the weight.
5. Take it out and let it cool completely.
6. Cut the cooled batter into squares or diamonds.
7. Heat a tawa or pan. Shallow fry the squares/diamonds till all the vadies get crispy.
1. You can add some ginger garlic paste to enhance the taste. If using, add 3/4 tsp for the above recipe.
2. As always, when deep fried they will taste even better. But I prefer shallow frying to cut back on calories.
3. I used a combination of green and purple cabbage.