Even those who have never baked cookies before, do try it and impress your family and friends.
Fan Shaped Cookies
1 packet frozen Puff Pastry packet like Pepperidge Farm
1/2 cup + 1/2 cup sugar
1/4tsp + tsp salt
Green and Red sugar crystals for turning them into holiday cookies
1. Thaw puff pastry sheets on the counter for about 40 minutes.
2. Spread 1/2 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp salt on to your working surface.
3. Unfold one pastry sheet onto sugar and salt mixture as if to cover as much sugar mixture as possible.
4. Use your rolling pin to roll it slightly.
5. Using you blunt or butter knife, make a mark lightly at the center of the sheet - lengthwise.
6. Now fold one side till this line and fold the other side till the line as below.
7. Pull them together to make a roll.
8. Cover tightly using a saran wrap. Keep on a plate. Place in the fridge for at least 20 minutes.
9. Repeat the above procedure using 1/4 cup sugar and 1/4 tsp salt for the remaining pastry sheet. Keep that roll in the fridge too. Clean up the mess of sugar/salt remnants!!
10. Preheat oven to 400F
11. Take off one roll and place on the cutting board. Remove the wrap. Cut thin slices - about 18 - 20
12. Line your cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place the cookies with at least 2" space between them.
13. Bake for 6-7 minutes. Flip and bake again for 6-7 minutes.
14. Take them out. Place them on a wire rack using a spatula. Let them cool down completely.
15. Repeat the same procedure for the second roll from the fridge.
17. Place them back on to the cookie sheet. and bake for just 1 or 1 1/2 minutes till sugar crystal stick to the cookies but do not melt completely.
18. Place them back on the wire rack to cool down.
19. Once cooled off, store in an airtight container.
20. Share & enjoy!!
1. Each Pepperidge Farm puff pastry packet has 2 pastry sheets.
2. Addition of green and red colors was my idea. The real recipe stops at step 15.
3. Cut uniformly thin slices about 18 - 20. So 2 puff pastry sheets will give you about 36 - 40 cookies.