Monday, December 19, 2011

Coconut Macaroons

Macaroons was the first cookie I ever baked in my life. I didn't plan on it. We were newly married then. I sent my husband to buy a coconut for making chutney with dosas. I really thought that the nearby supermarket would surely have all the ingredients for my cooking needs. [ I once remember asking the customer service about dates and rose syrup; they had not even heard about these two items. I am happy to report that in just few years, most of the supermarkets started carrying Medjool Dates; rose syrup is still missing!] Anyways, let's get back to my husband's search for coconut. He spotted a good coconut in the veggie section but he was not sure how we would break it. In Mumbai, naraLwala would do it. So he asked around and got home a packet of grated coconut. I was happy to see it. Without reading the label, I made the chutney using a fistful of coconut flakes. That chutney was cloyingly sweet! My husband has a sweet tooth so he loved it and I hated it. I read the label and it was sweetened coconut. I was so mad. I didn't know what to do with the remaining packet? It stayed in the fridge for some time and as luck would have it, I read a recipe in our local newspaper. I wanted to use that sweet coconut and also the recipe appeared very simple.

I made it and it turned out really good. I liked it as it was a cookie recipe without any added butter.
However, I had a slight problem. Whenever anything special was made, we used to always share with our neighbors in Mumbai. and suddenly in my apartment building I felt very lonely. It was just my husband and I then, with 3 dozens of cookies. We hardly knew any neighbors. It was a strange feeling to eat all by ourselves. So those cookies lasted us almost a life time.

Coconut Macaroons
1 package (14oz) coconut flakes
2/3 cup sugar
6 tbsp flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 egg whites
1 tsp vanilla extract

1. Mix coconut, sugar, flour and salt in a big bowl.
2. Stir in egg whites and vanilla extract.
3. Line cookie sheets with a wax paper.
4. Drop cookie dough using a scoop. Keep enough space between the cookies
5. Bake 325 F for about 20 minutes or till the edges of the cookies are golden brown.
6. Remove from the cookie sheet. Place on a wire racks.

Note -
1. This recipe gives 3 dozen cookies.

Local Newspaper Recipe Clipping (Author unknown)

Print Page


LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs