Green Peas Daal Appe
वाटाण्याच्या डाळीचे आप्पे
1/3 cup green peas daal
1/3 cup chana daal
2/3 cup urad daal
salt to taste
1/2 tsp asafoetida
1/4 tsp baking soda (optional)
Oil for greasing the Appe Paatra/pan
1. Clean and rinse the daals. Soak all three daal for 6-8 hours.
2. Grind to a smooth paste adding asafoetida & water as needed. Do not make the batter watery.
3. Stir in salt. Mix well. Cover and keep aside.
4. You can keep it for fermenting or you can make appe immediately by adding baking soda. If the batter is well fermented, you may not need baking soda.
5. Heat appe pan. Add 1/2 tsp of oil in each appe cavity. Add spoonful of batter. Drizzle some oil around each dumpling. Cover and let it cook.
6. Remove the lid and flip the appe. Add more oil if necessary. Make sure the appes are cooked and are brown.
7. Serve with chutney, sambar, rasam or saar of your choice.
1. Appes can easily be frozen for later use.
2. Above proportion gave me about 49 appes.
3. You can add minced onion, green chilies, curry leaves etc in the fermented batter for a different taste.