Saturday, December 31, 2011

Forks over knives - My attempt - Chholay


Just a few days back, I got a chance to watch "Forks over knives" documentary. I was really impressed with Dr. Campbell  and Dr. Esselstyn's research about plant based, sugar free and oil free nutrition. I won't say that I will be completely vegan with sugar free and oil free diet. But I would like to take some baby steps in that direction in the coming new year. You will see some recipes that I have been trying over last few years which are oil free and surprisingly, fit the bill.

As a first recipe, let me introduce something that my family has been enjoying and yes, it doesn't have a single drop of oil. Now, some traces of fats are already there in the beans and other ingredients as above Dr. team stresses. But I have not added any additional oil. and yes, it does taste good. As I said before, I am not going to change our diet drastically to make it oil-free, but these are some experiments that were approved by my esteemed panel of judges!! ;-) (Read daughter and husband!!)

I have several other recipes of chholays - masala chholay, paneer chholay, palak chholay, Dhingri Chholay (with mushrooms), Khatte chholay, Dry Chholay etc. But all of those recipes are different compared to the following version. You will know why!


Chholay - My Fork over knives experiment
Ingredients
1 1/2 cup soaked garbanzo beans or 1 can garbanzo beans
salt to taste
1 cup finely chopped onion
3/4 cup chopped tomatoes
1 medium yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 12 pieces
1 1/2 tsp ginger-garlic paste, preferably freshly made
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chholay masala or garam masala
1/4 cup finely minced cilantro

Suggested Accompaniment
Rice Medley
Bell Pepper Koshimbeer

Method
1. In a pressure pan or pressure cooker, combine chopped onion, tomato, potato pieces, ginger-garlic paste, garbanzo beans, turmeric powder, garam or chholay masala, salt and  minced cilantro.
2. Add 1 cup water and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles. Let the pressure drop of its own.
3. Open the lid. Add 1/2 cup water. Mash few potatoes to give some thickness.
4. Adjust for salt.
5. Simmer for 5 minutes.

Note -
1. I usually prefer soaking the garbanzo beans rather than using canned version. If using can, make sure that you rinse and drain the beans. In that case, you may need just 2 whistles of pressure cooker since they are already cooked.
2. If you like it more spice, use 2 green chilies, minced and spicy chili powder. Add it along with all the ingredients.
3. Chholay masala is available at Indian stores. I personally prefer Badshah brand but several other brands like Everest, MTR etc may also work equally well.



HAPPY NEW YEAR!



Print Page

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs