Thursday, December 8, 2011

Bhindi Do Pyaza



Call it bhendi, bhindi, bhinda, ladies fingers or okra - this vegetable is my most favorite veggie. Gudiya took me out for my last birthday when my husband was out of town. We dined at an Indian restaurant.  Knowing that her father is away on my birthday, Gudiya asked me - "So what are you going to have?". I felt good to be pampered by my little daughter. I ordered "Bhindi do pyaza". I noticed that they had added red, orange and yellow bell pepper pieces making this dish look really vibrant. I tried to use the same technique here.

Bhindi Do Pyaza
Okra with onions and bell peppers
Ingredients
2 cups cut okra, cut each into 2" pieces with a slit
salt to taste
1 red bell pepper, cored and sliced or use multi-colored bell peppers
 
1/2 tsp. turmeric powder
1 tbsp. coriander-cumin powder
1 tsp. paprika/mild chili powder
 
1 tomato, sliced, remove the pulps and seeds
1 tbsp. oil
 

Tempering
1 tbsp. oil
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
2 cups thinly sliced onions
1 tsp. ginger-garlic paste

Method
1. Heat oil in a nonstick kadai/wok. Add cumin seeds. As they sizzle, add onions and ginger-garlic paste. Sauté on a low flame till onion is browned but not burnt. It should be reduced in the volume.
2. Now, add powders and add okra, tomato and bell peppers. Sauté on a medium flame for 10 minutes.
3. Add remaining oil. Cover and let it cook for 15 minutes or so till the veggies are cooked.
4. Add salt to taste

Note -
1. I wanted to reduce the amount of oil - though 2 tbsp. oil is still a bit more than my usual quota. If you like the okra to be crispy, you may need to increase the oil proportion a lot more, and cook without covering it with a lid.


Print Page

LinkWithin

LinkWithin Related Stories Widget for Blogs